This is an easy and fresh gluten-free dinner idea. My lemon chicken recipe is a healthy dinner tossed with garlic and fresh herbs. If you’re like me, it’s back to school and back to wondering “what’s for dinner?!”
My lemon chicken recipe is simple, clean, and packed with flavor. It’s a quick weeknight dinner that will last you through the week. While it’s still warm we can take advantage of the remaining herbs in our herb gardens. Hopefully, you’ve been more successful than I have at this point my basil is about the only plant I haven’t killed
Whenever I use chicken, I naturally gravitate toward chicken breasts. This summer, I started cooking more with chicken thighs. I find that they are more tender than breasts and the meat lasts longer throughout the week since it comes in a package in small pieces.
When I was crafting this lemon chicken recipe I couldn’t decide which herb I wanted to add, similar to my watermelon balsamic salad. Due to my indecisiveness, I then combined all three herbs. The combination of the three minced herbs, basil, lemon, and rosemary, creates a flavorful result.
To start, rinse the chicken. Pat dry and place in a baking dish. Mince the herbs.
Coat the chicken in herbs, lemon juice, halved garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
After the chicken marinates, heat the grill. If a grill is not available, preheat the oven to 350, and cook chicken for 15-20 minutes.
Place lemon chicken on the grill, along with a halved lemon, placing face down. Cook each side of the thigh for about 10 minutes. Make sure the thighs are coated in the herb mixture and garlic.
Once the lemon chicken finishes cooking, take the grilled lemon and squeeze the juice on top of the chicken.
Serve and enjoy! The lemon chicken tastes wonderfully cooled the next day as well.
1 lb. of organic chicken thighs
3 garlic cloves
2 tsp. of salt
2 tsp. of pepper
4 tbsp. of olive oil
1 tbsp. of chopped fresh basil
2 tsp. of chopped fresh lemon verbena
2 tsp. of chopped rosemary
1. Rinse chicken thighs. Pat dry and place in a large, deep dish pan.
2. Rinse fresh basil, lemon, and rosemary herbs. Pat dry. Take all of the herbs and mince into small pieces. Combine so it is one herbal mixture.
3. Peel the garlic. Slice vertically in half.
4. Squeeze the juice of one lemon of the chicken, placing a hand below the lemon to catch the seeds.
5. Coat the chicken in olive oil. Add in salt, pepper, and herb mixture.
6. Using your hands, coat the chicken in lemon mixture until well combined.
7. Let chicken sit in the fridge for 30 minutes-6 hours.
8. For the grill: Slice the other lemon in half. Place face down on the grill. Cook each thigh for about 10 minutes.
9. Once the chicken finishes cooking, take the grilled lemons and squeeze a little juice with tongs on each chicken thigh.
Serve and enjoy!